Five Arches forms part of Tenby's ancient Town Wall , construction of which
began around 1264.
From 1328 the construction of extra towers in the curtain wall and the
outer Barbican tower for the West gate - the present Five Arches.
The arch to the left was the original entrance in the Barbican and had a Portcullice of Iron .
From 1457 the lower sections of the walls were increased to six feet in thickness and
considerably heightened, with a crenelated parapet and arrow loops , in many places
a parapet walk was added. A dry ditch nearly thirty feet wide was dug for extra protection ,
in what is now South Parade, and St Florence Parade.
In 1588, with the Spanish Armada threatening, the section of wall to the
south of the West Gate was rebuilt and strengthened .
Except for the North Gate / Wall which was removed in 1707 , the landward defences are
substantially complete . Elsewhere parts of retaining walls and a turret, or tower remain
along the coastal cliffs.
Location: SN 133.004