Kilgetty Iron Works (Stepaside) in the "Pleasant Valley", which leads down to the
coast at Wisemans Bridge.
A view through the front wall of "The Cast House" (where the iron from the furnaces
was solidified into pigs of iron), to the "Furnace Wall" behind .
The 2 Blast Furnaces (Demolished) were between the "Cast House" and the "Furnace Wall".
A nice row of Calcining Kilns are above the "Furnace Wall", and were used to roast the
iron ore in order to drive off impurities before the ore was charged into the blast furnaces.
The Iron works was built in 1848 and used Iron Ore from "patches" - workings in the cliffs
between Saundersfoot and Amroth , Coal from Grove Colliery (just above the Iron works)
and local limestone (Ludchurch / Blaencilgoed).
The pig iron produced at Kilgetty was of the highest quality.
The Works had a chequered production history ,and closed in 1877.
Location: SN 1413.0733