An earth and timber Castle from the 1100's / rebuilt in stone by 1220 / derelict by the
16th century / Demolished by Cromwells Parliamentary Soldiers in 1648 .
Little remains but the outside walls with Towers on the south ( east and west ) corners.
The Castle houses the County Archives ( In the 18c Prison . 1799-80 ) ,
and the Town Museum
Location: SM 953.157