An Earth and timber castle was built here by the Norman , Gerald of Windsor around 1100
The current high-walled structure with a complex of rooms and halls around the
circumference was created by Nicholas de Carew around 1270
Rhys ap Thomas, who made his fortune by strategically changing sides and backing Henry
Tudor just before the Battle of Bosworth , extended the castle with luxurious apartments
with many Tudor features in the late 15th century.
In 1558 Sir John Perrot made the final substantial extension, building the long range of
rooms in domestic architecture attached to the outside of the north walls which give the
castle its present peculiarly hybrid character. Carew is one of the few castles to display the
development from Norman fortification to Elizabethan country house.
Location: SN 042.039