A nineteenth century corn mill ( French Tidal Mill ) set on a 150m long causeway /
dam across a tidal creek below Carew Castle .
A mill of some kind existed here as early as 1542, although the present building
probably dates from the early 19th century.
One of only three restored tidal mills in Britain, with all its original machinery.
A causeway with gates was built to form a 23 acre millpond / controlling the tide that
enters the Daugleddau and heads up the Carew river. Water was trapped at high tide in the
millpond , and when milling began , the sluice gates were opened to turn the two large
16 foot diameter undershot water wheels, driving seven sets of mill stones.
The mill ceased operation in 1937.
Location: SN 0415.0382