The beautiful wheel window in the east gable of the Bishop's Palace ( perhaps inspired by
Merton College in Oxford, where Bishop Gower had been a fellow) .
The window overlooks the Great Hall ( 96 ft long ).
During the Middle Ages there were few landowners in Wales wealthier than the
Bishop's of St Davids. As well as being princes of the church , they were Marcher Lords
in their own right, owing allegiance only to the king.
The surviving buildings date chiefly from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, particularly the work of Bishop Thomas Bek (1280-93) and Bishop Henry de Gower
(1328-47). It is de Gower's Arcaded Parapet which is one of the glories of the Palace .
Location: SM 7506.2541