The 13th century Inner Gatehouse of the Lamphey Bishop's Palace.
A lavish country retreat used by the Bishops of St Davids, with buildings dating from the
thirteenth to sixteenth centuries .
The fishponds, fruit orchards, vegetable gardens and sweeping parklands enabled the
Bishops to enjoy the life of country gentlemen.
There are remains of great halls and chapels raised over basements, two gatehouses and a
large barn or granary.
The Palace at Lamphey is mainly the work of Henry de Gower, Bishop of St David's
(1328 to 1347) , who was also largely responsible for the magnificent Bishop's Palace
alongside St David's Cathedral
Location: SN 018.009