Llawhaden Castle / a fortified Bishop's Palace / built by the Bishops of St Davids.
Originally an earth and timber castle for Norman Bishop Bernard.
Fortified with stone, in the late 12th century in response to a siege
led by the Welshman, the Lord Rhys,
In the 13th century, Bishop Thomas Bek (1280-93) made the greatest impact at Llawhaden,
when he established and expanded the village and added a hall to the castle.
Between 1362 and 1389 , Arch Bishop Adam de Houghton provided the castle with lavish
residential apartments and a chapel for the Bishop's guests , and an impressive twin
towered gatehouse .
Location: SN 07269.17424