The impressive 3-storey tower with stepped buttresses , c.1500 , is related to the
Church Towers of Somerset , built for a Lord with an English connection.
Towers were a popular additions to Churches , especially in South Pembrokeshire ,
during the 15th Century and up till the reformation (1540's)
St Mary's church, Carew Cheriton dates from the 14th century.
The nave, aisles, and porch , were added in the 15th century,
the main restoration was undertaken in 1856.
The adjacent two storey whitewashed building is St Mary's School House.
Called the 'school-house' in 1625, and used as such until 1872, the building was
also a possible mortuary chapel, the vaulted undercroft being an ossary (bone-house),
possibly dating from the early 14-15th century.
Location: SN 0452.0286