MILFORD HAVEN + CLEDDAU WATERWAYS
2 - WEST ANGLE to SANDY HAVEN ).
A distance of about 31+ miles.
From West Angle , The Pembrokeshire Coast Path heads East to Pembroke Dock , then crosses the estuary by the Cleddau Toll Bridge to Neyland and then heads west to Sandy Haven.
Fortifications were built 1850/1870 to protect Milford Haven from invasion by the French forces of Napoleon III :- St Catherine's (tenby) , East Blockhouse , Thorn Island , Chapel Bay , Popton , Scoverston (Inland - Waterston) , Hubberston , South Hook , Stack Rock , Dale , West Blockhouse .
Classed as Palmerston Follies after Lord Palmerston the British PM at the time.
In 1814 the admiralty transfered its Milford Haven dockyard to Paterchurch (Pembroke Dock ) . The present buildings date mostly from Dockyard times (1814-1926). The towns shipbuilders constructed 263 vessels for the Royal Navy , ranging from gunboats to battleships and 5 Royal Yachts for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert
The forts and barracks which protected the Dockyard and housed the garrison are still prominent. The martello design towers (1851). The enormous hangars in the Dockyard are reminders of World War II's largest operational flying boat base.
2.2 and 2.3 are extra sections.
The Pembrokeshire Coast - by definition - follows the tidal Daugleddau , inland , and reaches Blackpool Mill on the Eastern Cleddau River, and Haverford West on the Western Cleddau River .
Many walkers do not attempt large parts of the path between , West Angle - Sandy Haven .
The Toll bridge crosses The Daugleddau Estuary ,which is classed as a "Ria", a drowned river valley ( a river valley flooded by a rise in sea levels ).
Daugleddau , meaning Two Cleddaus , divides at Picton Point in to the Western Cleddau and the Eastern Cleddau . The river system has many small hamlets on the banks with the mudflats attracting many birds.
Basic COAST GEOLOGY :-
Old Red Sandstone predominates - DEVONIAN PERIOD - 360 / 420 MYA (million years ago) , limestone being eroded to form bays , in the sandstone of the estuary .
Coal Measures - CARBONIFEROUS PERIOD - 290 / 360 MYA , appear in the upper reaches of the Cleddau , an important resource along with limestone , in years past .
The poor acidic soils of West Wales made lime a valuable commodity. Limestone was quarried at West Williamston, Garron Pill and Llangwm Ferry and burned in kilns along the waterway and coastline
Coal was mined around the upper reaches of the Daugleddau / Anthracite was mined at Landshipping in the 1800's / Hook colliery was the last to close in 1949.
ClICK ON AN IMAGE TO OPEN GALLERY
Location = the GPS position of the Camera